How do you research?
Hi there, i'm new to the site and 1 month in investing in the stock market. I wanted to know if you guys are willing to share how you guys go about researching before deciding to buy or sell your stocks.

I understand there's fundamental and technical analysis. I was hoping if you guys can give tips on how to go about mining data and then what to do with the information you get. What are good books or sites i could go to, so i can understand how to analyze charts. For now i just follow recommendations of the online brokerage site i'm using.

Hope you guys can help! Thanks
mky, you have come to the right place but i think you should have followed what was requested to you initially by our commander ollie and that is to make your 1st post at the welcome to stockmarketpilipinas section.
Kung walang drama walang saya Tongue
hello mky, you are blessed kasi like mistah lim said, you've come to the right place Smile
ako ilang taon na nagtratrade ng bulag at puro hula eh, atleast ikaw 1month ka palang kaya ok at nadiscover mo na tong site Smile

you may want to read "A Beginner's "How To" In Stock Investing/Trading " and "The Prudent Investor by Benson Te" andito na yan sa smp for free Smile marami kang matututunan dyan Smile

regarding to buy or sell stocks naman, kelangan matuto kang magbasa ng charts kahit basics lang (sounds like master ollie nung pinagsasabihan niya ako Big Grin) at malaman yung direction ng stock (thru drawing trend lines) kung uptrend ito or downtrend. usually if observe the stock price pag Higher highs and Higher Lows siya consistently, then uptrend ito. pag Lower Highs and Lowes Lows naman, downtrend ito.. Kelangan madetermine morin yung support and resistance. Support is the area under a price market where concentrated amount of demand or buying interes has come to over power the selling pressure.(usually depicted by price bottomes). Resistance naman is the area over a price market where concentrated selling pressure prevents any further advance in price.(usually depicted by price tops or previous highs).

Dapat masipag karin magresearch sa company (stock) na mga tinitignan mo, punta ka sa http://www.pse.com.ph for corporate / company disclosures basa basa ka lang dun.. search karin sa google for latest news or updates din para alam mo kung anu nangyayari dun sa stocks mo.. or basa basa karin ng mga news sa dyaryo.. Kadalasan malaki din kasi effect ng news sa stock price and movements eh. Smile

Para sa bagong investors, lalo na pag di mo kaya matutukan ang market araw araw, mas ok siguro kung mag invest ka sa mga less volatile na stocks at sa blue chips ka maginvest kasi mas less risky sila compared sa mga 3rd liner stocks or bazura or jockeyed stocks.. (sabi nga nila, dibaleng maipit sa blues kasi isit mo lang at babalik din yan, makakatulog ka ng mahimbing, pero sa mga bazura stocks, pag naiwanan ka, kahit taon na bilangin mo minsan di na nakakabalik hehe.. Bigla kasi ang taas at pag baba ng prices ng mga bazura stocks minsan kaya hirap ipredict)..

Pwede karin mag subscribe to commander's ollie daily journal for guides.. pm mo lang si master ollie kung paano, malaking tulong at guide din yung journal ni master ollie Smile ..

Technical analysis is the study of market action, primarily through the use of charts for the purpose of forecasting future price trends. Pag nagconduct ulit si sensei spy ng technical analysis webinar or maybe live seminar pag naiset nanya, attend ka marami kang matututunan Smile lagi kalang silip at basa dito sa smp for updates Wink

Regarding fundamentals naman, makikita mo narin dito sa smp yung mga stocks o company details, pinopost at inuupdate ni ms. ruach yung mga details at infos sa mga company ibrowse mo nalang Smile

Regarding mining naman, imho, mining kasi mego volatile eh kaya pag di ka tutok mego dilikado din.. pero pag gusto mo talaga ng mining, mas ok siguro sa mining stocks na may gold at yung may production, dapat tignan morin yung company iresearch morin para alam mo kung ok before mo pasukin..

Lagi ka lang mag browse dito at magbasa sa smp for updates sa mga stocks, and pwede karin magtanong sa mga gurus dito pagmay tanong ka madami sila dito na handang tumulong ( Master ollie, sensei spy, sir arthas, ms. ruach, sir boardz, at marami pang iba Smile )

Ingatz and Godbless sa trades mo Smile

^^...hanep! wa ako ma-say Big Grin Nangopya ka na naman sa libro ng answer mo no? hahaha Big Grin Well kahit kinopya mo sa libro to, I'm impressed. You have the idea now working for you. Next time from the heart na ang sagot amat... Smile Kung ganyan lagi sagot mo amat, we'll have a new name for you soon...or baguhin ko na in honor of your very good answer

...MKY, researching is also a personal thing din na ma-develop mo along the way. Some of the methods of analysis eh magagamit mo kasi gusto mo siya, some naman hindi but the important thing is you have a method. If you are looking for a blueprint naman or a method that would give you a surefire 100% success rate, wala nyan. You must remember that. You may look for it, but you'll never find it. Be careful of people that would sell to you this idea either thru their newsletters or thru their seminars. Ma-impress ka lang sa kanila but you will get off on the wrong foot.

thank you master ollie kahit binuking moko Confused

pero sa heart ang sagot ko galing ah kahit may konting kopya haha Heart Big Grin

Godbless sa trades mo mr. MKY Smile

sir amateur trader thanks! siguro nga i should take time to read a book on investing. hehe dun sa "data mining", ang ibig ko sabihin sana dun pano ko maghahanap ng data. pero nasagot mo nga na dapat maghalungkat ng stuff sa pse.

sir ollie, thanks for giving me that reality check. actually yung method nga ang gusto ko madevelop. pero shempre una nga maghanap ng info, tapos iprocess to decide. i guess yung pagtimbang ng mga factors dun na papasok yung personal decision.

so far swerte siguro pataas ang general movement ng stock market since i entered, kaya may kita naman. pero later on kelangan ko ng armas kung sakali magbago ang situation!

thanks ulit sa mga advice so far!
Here's what I do normally.

1. Look for businesses na profitable in your surroundings.
2. If its publicly listed then download its financial statements
3. Check for its Return on Equity or ROE. I like it be more than 15%
4. If the company I'm interested passes that test, I check if it has consistent net profit. I prefer if its rising every year and with no registered net loss for 5 years.
5. Next I check if it has any long term debt. I prefer companies that don't have it.

If it still passes my scrutiny then I price the stock. Now here comes the tricky part because you have different ways of going about it.

1. The easiest for me is using the Price to earnings Ratio (P/E). I prefer P/E of below 10. Recently though since 2010 was an exceptional year in terms of earnings, I scaled down my preferred P/E to below 8. An example would be appropriate at this time. If say I have a stock earning P1 per share and the stock price is P10, then it follows that its P/E is 10/1 equals 10. I will start buying this stock at P8 or below.
2. Next I checked out the volume for the past month. This would roughly tell me how much shares I can accumulate without having problems of disposing it in the future. I would target around 75% of average monthly volume.

This is just a very general way of researching and picking stocks but it served me very well. I hope this helps.
The World is a Vampire . . .
wow ok to ah, thanks stock junkie! at least meron na ako something to pattern to.
Walang anuman!
The World is a Vampire . . .
(07-06-2011, 04:58 PM)StockJunkie Wrote: Here's what I do normally.

1. Look for businesses na profitable in your surroundings.
2. If its publicly listed then download its financial statements
3. Check for its Return on Equity or ROE. I like it be more than 15%
4. If the company I'm interested passes that test, I check if it has consistent net profit. I prefer if its rising every year and with no registered net loss for 5 years.
5. Next I check if it has any long term debt. I prefer companies that don't have it.

If it still passes my scrutiny then I price the stock. Now here comes the tricky part because you have different ways of going about it.

1. The easiest for me is using the Price to earnings Ratio (P/E). I prefer P/E of below 10. Recently though since 2010 was an exceptional year in terms of earnings, I scaled down my preferred P/E to below 8. An example would be appropriate at this time. If say I have a stock earning P1 per share and the stock price is P10, then it follows that its P/E is 10/1 equals 10. I will start buying this stock at P8 or below.
2. Next I checked out the volume for the past month. This would roughly tell me how much shares I can accumulate without having problems of disposing it in the future. I would target around 75% of average monthly volume.

This is just a very general way of researching and picking stocks but it served me very well. I hope this helps.

It does and it will, sir SJ. thanks for this po Smile