Identifying Investment vs Trading strategies
paging boss ollie, et al.

Was just thinking about segregating threads for long term investments against threads for trading. or if not, maybe have some "posting manners or protocol" when calling out a stock that it is either a long term strategy or short term one, just to easily identify one from the other.

Since the strategies greatly differ, opposite in fact on most times, It would be more informative if users could differentiate where posters are coming from.

I'm saying this because some posts would only say, "I'm buying stock X, or I think its a good time to buy in Y etc. etc." Newbies would not know if this was a trading or investment strategy.

of course for those already with some experience, they might say, "isnt it obvious?" or "its a given?" but I think this site is making a lot of effort to go the newbie friendly direction, yeah?

your thoughts? Big Grin
Trading Bias: Long term with some swinging
PD for Long Term: MPI, ALI, BDO and mining
(10-29-2011, 10:59 AM)traderWannabe Wrote: paging boss ollie, et al.

Was just thinking about segregating threads for long term investments against threads for trading. or if not, maybe have some "posting manners or protocol" when calling out a stock that it is either a long term strategy or short term one, just to easily identify one from the other.

Since the strategies greatly differ, opposite in fact on most times, It would be more informative if users could differentiate where posters are coming from.

I'm saying this because some posts would only say, "I'm buying stock X, or I think its a good time to buy in Y etc. etc." Newbies would not know if this was a trading or investment strategy.

of course for those already with some experience, they might say, "isnt it obvious?" or "its a given?" but I think this site is making a lot of effort to go the newbie friendly direction, yeah?

your thoughts? Big Grin

I'd say don't rely too much into following other investors' strategies. It does not matter whether he plans short term or long term for a stock. You should plan it by yourself and not because someone did it that way.

If you just plan to study their strategies, then you can simply do it by following a specific investor's comments and see for yourself if he's a technical trader, a fundamentalist, swing trader, etc.

Forums like these are good venues for discussions (i.e. new investors can ask questions, investors debate on a particular stock, etc). Lots of information available, but "noise" comes along with it. If someone declares that he buys stock X, always take it with a grain of salt and do your own analysis. Know why he wants to buy (technical analysis? good news? financials? Fundamentals? hula-hula?) and search for more info on your own. Afterwards, think and decide for yourself whether you agree or not.
...pinag isip mo ko ah traderwannabe

...though your request may look like it's simple, it's actually very complicated

...I symphatize with what the newbies undergo day in and day out in this forum, grasping and trying to understand what is happening in what stocks and trying to catch up with what the posts are all about by anybody and everyone in any particular stock thread

...experienced traders talk their talk and unfortunately for newbies, since they are newbies, and are not at a level yet to discern "what the heck it is that they are talking about" in the threads, the newbie becomes lost and stalled, unable to figure out whether ther next steps would be in the right or wrong directions

...bos Traderwannabe, if we are going to ask out our members to identify and add in their posts whether their concerned posts are for long term or short term strat, I think that would be asking a little bit too much from them already

...forums have been designed to act like a free venue for an exchange of ideas and opinions, the veracity and accuracy of each posts made herein can never be measured thus making it hard to verify as to its exactness

...humahaba na 'to ah...anyway, I'll do something about your request, maybe change some more of the forum features to make it even more newbie friendly ok?...and really, my sympathies to the newbies...my advise is for you guys to expedite your learnings, I am here to help you in any way I can but no acting like you want spoonfeeding, I'll kick you out Smile

...maybe being a newbie is all part of the process...if I can just copy paste my experience to all you guys I would Big Grin

Ollie and the Admin Team

(10-29-2011, 03:36 PM)Ollie Wrote: ...pinag isip mo ko ah traderwannabe

...though your request may look like it's simple, it's actually very complicated

...I symphatize with what the newbies undergo day in and day out in this forum, grasping and trying to understand what is happening in what stocks and trying to catch up with what the posts are all about by anybody and everyone in any particular stock thread

...experienced traders talk their talk and unfortunately for newbies, since they are newbies, and are not at a level yet to discern "what the heck it is that they are talking about" in the threads, the newbie becomes lost and stalled, unable to figure out whether ther next steps would be in the right or wrong directions

...bos Traderwannabe, if we are going to ask out our members to identify and add in their posts whether their concerned posts are for long term or short term strat, I think that would be asking a little bit too much from them already

...forums have been designed to act like a free venue for an exchange of ideas and opinions, the veracity and accuracy of each posts made herein can never be measured thus making it hard to verify as to its exactness

...humahaba na 'to ah...anyway, I'll do something about your request, maybe change some more of the forum features to make it even more newbie friendly ok?...and really, my sympathies to the newbies...my advise is for you guys to expedite your learnings, I am here to help you in any way I can but no acting like you want spoonfeeding, I'll kick you out Smile

...maybe being a newbie is all part of the process...if I can just copy paste my experience to all you guys I would Big Grin

Ollie and the Admin Team

pang inuman na tanong hehehe.

thanks for considering it, just wanted to lay something out on the table, this is what the forum is for anyway.
I think this forum has a lot to offer in terms of the overall attitude towards discussions (objectivity rather than blind gossip items which just lead to endless banter, ergo more site traffic but empty ping pong of rants) I am quite liking this forum a bit more than the other PH stock forums because it is more objective somewhat, and want to see it really as a venue to learn rather than just spilling out "lilipad na ito bukas, bibili kasi si batman" but then again, this is what a lot of us Filipinos find tongue and cheek so I definitely wont suggest restricting this type of market noise - lack of it would also make for a very dry forum anyway hahaha.

on a personal note (not that other users would care about my 2 cents)
I think Ill just start by putting my trading bias on my signature for easy reference as to where im coming from. whether it catches on or not, or leads to something better, who knows! Big Grin
(10-29-2011, 02:52 PM)scion_cho Wrote: I'd say don't rely too much into following other investors' strategies. It does not matter whether he plans short term or long term for a stock. You should plan it by yourself and not because someone did it that way.

If you just plan to study their strategies, then you can simply do it by following a specific investor's comments and see for yourself if he's a technical trader, a fundamentalist, swing trader, etc.

Forums like these are good venues for discussions (i.e. new investors can ask questions, investors debate on a particular stock, etc). Lots of information available, but "noise" comes along with it. If someone declares that he buys stock X, always take it with a grain of salt and do your own analysis.

I agree, everyone should enter for their own reasons, but I do make comparisons with others to play devils advocate to myself. Angel

(10-29-2011, 02:52 PM)scion_cho Wrote: Know why he wants to buy (technical analysis? good news? financials? Fundamentals? hula-hula?) and search for more info on your own. Afterwards, think and decide for yourself whether you agree or not.

this is exactly what I was hoping could be made easier. but it is a bit too imposing on the poster as ollie has pointed out.

...would tagging the Blue Chip stocks and having them identifiable as "Blue Chips" in our Traders Lounge Forum page be aceptable for you as an improvisation starter, traderWannabe? or would you have something in your mind which you'd like us to consider pa din?

...I have created a special Fundamental Thread for Newbies which would only have researched posts/news perhaps...one that would have information only not noise...ideal for the more fundamental types of market participants...I don't know if this would ever survive, but I would be hoping so...

...also, this forum and threads would only be visible to online SMP Members

...lastly, only Blue Chips lang ang threads doon...

...and I hope traderWannabe would make this Fundamental Threads as his personal playground Smile

...thanks for making me think about the newbies again traderWannabe

sounds good, although blue chips are a relative term and not all will necessarily fit into the long term investment category hahaha but thats for another discussion in the forums. Big Grin This will be a growing forum anyway so Ideas will be updated and modified for sure.

actually, currently Im sort of "bored" with Fundamentals and now more of a student of Technicals but I will definitely engage in discussions and try to throw ideas when I can for both. but Long term will always be my anchor. (hmmm this statement is actually confusing as technicals can also be applied to long term investments, this calls for another thread too Tongue hahaha )

...thanks as well, was just thinking out loud about how to make discussions clearer for everyone.
..ok, but thanks anyway for setting me off to make a second look at the conditions of the newbies which I really believe would be growing in numbers in the future...might as well be getting ready for them when they do come...

...btw, here's a peek into the new Fundamentals Forum, I may invite in some fundamental writers to make some contributions jan with analysis, sounds good?

http://www.stockmarketpilipinas.com/Foru...hip-Stocks

(10-29-2011, 03:36 PM)Ollie Wrote: ...pinag isip mo ko ah traderwannabe

Ollie and the Admin Team

@boss Ollie

Thanks sir ollie for the supports for newbies

I would like to suggest seperate threads group for newbies, and diffrent thread group naman sa trading, and investing, Swing trading, fundamentalist, analyst, and etc. (yun eh kung pwede lang at possible lang po)

hehehe salamat po sa lahat marami na ako natututunan dito eh Salamat po

STARTING INVESTING FOR MY FUTURE...
"The greatest risk of all... is not taking at all"
Slowly but surely... time will come ill be appreciated... -Stocks in Cost averaging